Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Our First Week


Well, it certainly is time. We have been working toward this date for a long time. And I must admit, I'm a bit anxious about our first meeting. Not that I think I'll flame out or anything. I just want to do the best for our Lord.

John Eldridge, in his book Epic, comments that all of life has a story - each person lives out their own epic. To make sense of life we must discover, Eldridge would say, our story.As I began reviewing this week's lesson I thought, "where is my story in all this?" That's exactly where I am in life right now - asking myself "what is your story?" You need to be asking that of yourself, because Sunday we will all be sharing our stories. Each person we encounter in iWay will want you to help them understand their stories. We must be ready to help them understand our students through understanding the story of Christ, who said of His story "I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life".

This week I have been trying to help my brother understand the unraveling of his story. His father-in-law died today. And I think in many ways he looked to him as a surrogate father. It pained me today to listen to the story as he rolled it out. I really hurt for him. But he proved strong and said he was glad he spoke with me. Now this part of his story is a part of mine.

We will listen Sunday to the stories around us in our small groups and slowly, but surely, their stories will be rolled into ours. I think somehow this is what the writer of Hebrews was alluding to when he wrote, "now that we are encompassed by such a great cloud of witnesses..." those saints that have gone on before have adopted us into their story and are now cheering us on as we bring to culmination the great story of the ages - the story of God's love for each of us.

Blessings!

Chuck

No comments: